1.The 1st India-Indonesia Consular Dialogue was held in Yogyakarta today. The Indian delegation was led by Mr. Sanjiv Arora, Secretary [Consular, Passport & Visa and Overseas Indian Affairs], Ministry of External Affairs, while the Indonesian delegation was led by Dr. Andri Hadi, Director General for Protocol and Consular Affairs of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Indonesia.
2. The 1st Consular Dialogue was held in the framework of the bilateral Comprehensive Strategic Partnership [CSP] established during the historic visit of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi to Indonesia in May 2018.
3. The discussions were held in a highly friendly and constructive spirit, covering wide ranging issues pertaining to consular, immigration, visas and related issues of mutual interest. Both sides agreed to take steps to further facilitate, expand and strengthen people-to-people contacts in diverse areas that underpin the CSP between the two countries.
4. During the interaction, Secretary [CPV & OIA] requested the Indonesian side, inter alia, to take necessary measures urgently to permit Indian crew, who have been detained on board commercial vessels, to return to India. He handed over an aide memoire to the Director General Dr. Andri Hadi, who assured to accord this matter high priority in view of humanitarian aspect and excellent bilateral relations.
5. The Dialogue also focussed on furthering mechanisms to ensure well being and welfare of Indian and Indonesian nationals residing in and visiting each other’s countries; both sides arrived at a common understanding on steps to be taken in this direction. Discussions also pertained to ensuring the well being of Indian and Indonesian prisoners and facilitating mechanisms to ensure smooth and regular consular access.
6. Both delegations expressed confidence that their deliberations would make a positive contribution in further strengthening the multi-dimensional people-to-people contacts and exchanges to the mutual benefit of both countries. They agreed to regularly convene the Consular Dialogue alternately in India and Indonesia.
2 July 2019