Embassy of India
Celebration of 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi at Parliament Complex in Indonesia.02/10/2020
Embassy of India, Jakarta and Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat Republic Indonesia (People's Representative Council of Indonesia) organised an event on October 2, 2020 to commemorate the Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and to mark the International Day of Non- violence in the august premises of DPR. The event, which marked conclusion of the 2-year long celebration of 150th Birth, included an exhibition of paintings based on the principles of Truth, Non-violence and Satyagraha which were the core ideas of Mahatma Gandhi.
2. The opening ceremony was graced by the Speaker DPR RI Dr (Honoris Causa) Puan Maharani through virtual mode. Ambassador of India to Indonesia Mr Pradeep Kumar Rawat and Vice Speaker DPR RI Dr Mohammed Azis Syamsuddin graced the occasion and jointly opened the exhibition which will stay in the DPR premises from 02 -08 October 2020. Her Excellency the Speaker, the Vice Speaker and Ambassador of India delivered speeches highlighting importance of Gandhiji's message in the turbulent world that we all face today.
3. Honourable members of PIMPINAN BURT, PIMPINAN BKSAP, PIMPINAN KOMISI I and ANGGOTA GKSB INDONESIA - INDIA attended the celebrations physically and around 50 distinguished members of DPRRI attended the celebrations virtually. Ambassadors of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, France and Sri Lanka to Indonesia were present at the event. Distinguished members of Indian community were also a part of the event.
4. A cultural tribute to Mahatma Gandhi was presented by artists from India and Indonesia through virtual mode.
5. The paintings showcased in the exhibition have been created by 15 renowned painters from Institut Kesenian Jakarta. They are Ibu Dolorosa Sinaga, Bpk Hafid Alibasyah, Ibu Indah Tjahjawulan, Bpk Iwan Gunawan, Pak Saut Irianto, Bpk Adityayoga, Ibu Rahayu Pratiwi, Pak Anindyo Widito, Bpk Bambang Tri Rahadian, Ibu Cecil Mariani, Pak Deny Rusanto , Bpk Kendra Paramita, Bpk Firman Lie, Bpk Walid Syarthowi Bamalah and Bpk. Wagiono Sunarto.
6. The exhibition seeks to raise awareness among younger generations about the principles of Mahatma Gandhi and increasing mutual understanding between our two countries.
7. The event was Live Streamed on various social media platforms of DPR RI as well as the Embassy of India Jakarta.